Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Adopted and Heirs

“For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, ‘Abba Father!’ The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children go God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him.” Romans 8:14 - 17

In a week I will be celebrating a birthday. They seem to come faster these days, but glad to be able to celebrate. With my birthday this year I had to renew my NC Drivers License. So, I went into the DMV License Office in Aberdeen, took my ticket number like a good citizen would do and sat down with everyone else waiting my turn. My number was C-407. Finally I heard this automated voice state: “Now serving ticket number C-407 at station number 1. Great, my turn!

I walked over to the DMV License Examiner and told him I needed to renew my license. Handing him my old license he said, “Can you state you full name?” I thought, “Why, yes, yes I can. My name is Marty Egene Duffell.” What does this have to do with the passage above? Glad you asked! Every time I am asked to state my full name, in my mind, I go back to who I am as a person. Or in other words, I remember my father and mother because my name will always connect me to them.

Here is the thing (as some of you know), I was adopted. I was just a couple of days old with I was adopted by Jack and Irene Duffell. This couple had been told after they had a “still born” little girl (Dora Lynn Duffell), that because of the risk of another pregnancy, they should not try to have any more children. So in 1950 they adopted my sister, Vicki Lynn and in January of 1958 adopted me. With this adoption I became Marty Egene Duffell. I belonged to them. They were my mom and dad. I became not only their son, but a heir.

The Apostle Paul, writing to the church at Rome reminds us that by the Holy Spirit through Jesus Christ, we have a new Father. We have been adopted as sons and daughters of God Almighty. We belong to Him in every sense of that word. He is a Father who cares about us every second of every day. He loves us, even in spite of our rebellion. He loves us and really wants the best for His children. That is why He has given us His Words to live by. If we live by the guidelines, morals, the standards that He has laid out for us, life is good!

This does not mean, no trials, no hardships, no suffering, or even death, but it means we are His. And this Good Good Father that has adopted us and claimed us as His, has also prepared an inheritance for us. Heaven and eternity has been promised for all those who love and serve the LORD by believing in faith in the SON, and His life, death, and resurrection for their sins. Jesus further said we are to believe His Word.

Fantastic, Right, that God Almighty, creator of all things, our heavenly Father, would love us so much that He would send His only Son to die for our sins and bring Him back to life to conquer death on our behalf so that we could be adopted and an heir of Christ Jesus, forever? How awesome is that?
Every time I have to state my full name, I am reminded that I was adopted by Jack and Irene Duffell, their son and heir. Every time I pray to my Father in heaven I’m reminded I am His and one day will be home with my family forever!!! Thanks be to God, my Father,

Pastor Marty.
Worship, Grow, Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment