Wednesday, August 10, 2016

“My Identity Is Rooted In Christ”

“In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” -Matthew 5:16

I mentioned last Sunday durning my sermon that I am a sports lover.  Usually when I’m asked, “What do you like to do for fun?  Do you play golf like most pastors?”  I say, “No, just once every two or three years.”  “Do you run?”  “No, my knees won’t allow me.  But I do walk!”  What is your pass time then?”  “I love to watch sporting events,” I say.
I know, many of you cannot fathom that watching sporting events could be a pass time.  But for me, I can unwind, I can relax, and even just get lost in the moment of watching a good game or event.  So as you might imagine, the Olympics being on now has caught my attention.  And part of that is hearing the “back stories” of some of the athletes participating in the Olympic Games of 2016.
I marvel at their work ethic, their dedication to the process to get them to this point in the career to be an Olympian as their story unfolds.  But some of the stories go untold.  Like Michael Phelps being at the point of despair and a retired linebacker named Ray Lewis gave him a book titled, “The Purpose Driven Life” by Rick Warren and he regained purpose in his life.
But there are times when a few athletes speak out about their journey and it is breathtaking, refreshing to hear.  On Monday night the diving event was being broadcast on TV and I was watching as the American team of David Boudia and Steele Johnson were diving in the finals for a metal.  Through much of the competition they were in second place.  The team for China was the favorite and were performing awesome dives.  David and Steele were, likewise, diving very well.  Their sixth and final dive brought home the Silver Medal for the Americans.  Immediately after their successful event, they were interviewed pool side.  As the NBC announcer asked what this metal meant to them, David Boudia said, “This metal does not define me.  My identity is rooted in Christ.”  She turned to Steele Johnson with the microphone and he said, “Like David, I give God the glory.  This moment will not define who I am.”  Of course the interview was done from that point by NBC.  Can’t have to much of this Jesus stuff on the airwaves.
I was so proud to hear David and Steele say, “This is not what defines me.”  Diving, an Olympic Silver Medal, being an American, no, my identity is in Christ Jesus.  When these men qualified for the Olympic Diving Team in Indianapolis in June at the Trials, they witnessed for the Lord and David said, “This is nothing compared to the sacrifice made for our eternity.”  WOW!
This scripture from Matthew 5:16 came to mind, “In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.”
How many times do we have an opportunity each day to let our light shine so that God receives the glory?  No, we are not on TV nor are we Olympic medalist but if you are a believer, your identity is found in Christ.  NO OTHER!  And if we are identified in Christ, shouldn’t we give HIM the glory?  When we point to God and not “self,” our focus is placed in the right direction.  The minute we say, “Look at what I’ve done” the focus is diverted from Him to us.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with being proud of your accomplishments, but give Him the glory for your good works so others may see the Christ living in you.
I was so proud of David and Steele sharing their faith in the moment last Monday night.  I’m sure God was too.

Blessings my friends,                                                                 
Pastor Marty               


Worship, Grow, & Serve                      

No comments:

Post a Comment