Wednesday, December 28, 2016

“In 2017 Take Hold of the ONE Who Took Hold of You”

“This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all.” 1st John 1:5
“For I know the plans I have for you declares the LORD…”  Jeremiah 29:11    
Yesterday we traveled up to Boone, NC to take our son, David, back to school.  Yes, earlier than usual because of his work schedule.  West of Winston Salem on Hwy. 421 the clouds and fog were setting down on the mountains and the visibility was low.  We have traveled this road a lot over the past couple of decades and know it well.  That helps greatly when you cannot see very far ahead of you.
Any time I travel in fog my mind goes back to August of 1977.  I had moved to Four Oaks, NC and was stationed at POPE AFB adjacent to Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, NC.  I was told there was a back way to POPE and Bragg that was shorter than going down I-95.  Traveling the back roads through Lillington and Manchester Road you can cut off 30 to 40 minutes.  That sounded great to me.
First week of traveling that way, the 4th trip to work, I left home as usual at 5 a.m.  It took me about 60 minutes to get to my Squadron Headquarters and I needed to be armed and ready for inspection at 6:30 a.m.  It was a little foggy when I left home, but by the time I reached Lillington, I could hardly see 10 feet in front of the car.  I turned onto Manchester Road, south of Lillington, hoping the fog would clear up, but it actually got worst.  I was driving too fast for the conditions because I was afraid of being late for work.  I didn’t know the roads very well because I had not traveled that way but 3 times before.  Add the fog to this, well, it was a recipe for disaster and that is exactly what happened.  
I remember looking down at the speedometer to see how fast I was going.  It read 50 miles/hour.  I looked up and could not see a foot in front of me.  It was then I felt the left tire run off the left side of the road.  Realizing I was on the left side I jerked the steering wheel to compensate and that was it.  My car began to flip and ended upside down on a bank on the right hand side of the road.  All the windows were busted out, top flatten, and the engine smoking.  I was not wearing seatbelt, but remember, it was 1977.  I crawled out the back window, cutting myself up a little, but I felt safe now that I was out of the car.  I walked around trying to get me bearings and realized I had kept straight on a right hand curve having driven off the left side and my correction caused me to flip and wreak.  What happened next is interesting also, but I’ll tell that another time.  
My point of telling the story is this, first, I did not know my way that morning, not being familiar with the roads, the path I was traveling became a liability for me.  Secondly, the conditions, in this case, the fog, hindered my ability to see what was ahead.  I was throwing caution to the wind trying to make work in time thus all the negative factors came into play.
Folks, we are about to begin a new year, 2017.  My best advice to you and me in this coming year is to be familiar with the ONE that can guide us.  Knowing the WAY is how we will stay on the road and not veer off, finding ourselves trying to correct ourselves instead of allowing HIM to lead, and cause a wreak of our lives.  HE knows the plans for us, the way for us, let Him guide our way.
We also need the Light.  Often in this world Satan is trying his best to darken our way, our path ahead, so we will be derailed.  Don’t let that happen.  Stay steady in 2017 allowing God to light our path so that we can see each step of the way.  God is Light and in Him there is NO darkness.  When we depend on Him it doesn’t mean there won’t be fog ahead, hard times, or even some valleys to go through, but it does mean He will be with us each mile, each step, each mountain peak and each valley.  That’s the God He is!
So, in 2017 take hold of the ONE that took hold of you and don’t let go,  Worship, Grow, and Serve and watch the journey that unfolds.  It’s going to be a good one!
Blessings,
Pastor Marty
Worship, Grow & Serve                      


No comments:

Post a Comment