Wednesday, April 5, 2017

“OVERCOMERS”

Yes, if you were to ask me, I stayed up and watched the NCAA National Basketball Championship game.  And YES, I’m a Tar Heel fan and was trilled with their win.  And YES I have a Masters Degree from Duke University on my office wall.  All of that is true.  So how can I pull for Carolina?  I’ve been a Tar Heel fan since I was a toddler.  I can remember my first sport T-shirt was a Carolina football shirt.  So, like my bent towards the Tar Heels or not, I’ve pulled for them for over 50 years and I really don’t think that will ever change.  Just as a side note.  When you are attending Duke University and walking through the Quads to class wearing your Carolina sweatshirt, be prepared to be called some names that would make your mommy hide her face.
Enough about my Tar Heel loyalty.  I watched the game on Monday night and was so pleased to see the fight on the floor of both teams.  The Zags had to overcome the fact that many said they were a Mid-Major team and really don’t belong on that stage.  REALLY?  The team was 37 - 1 and had beaten 5 power-five conference teams during their run to the Finals.  They were legit for sure.  Carolina had some injuries through the year, lost their starting guard for the year, ankle injuries plagued their star point guard, yet they battled.  This game featured a couple of heavy weights.  Some didn’t like the game for many reasons, but the battle came down to the wire and both teams, in my opinion, were OVERCOMERS!!!
Let me switch gears a little here, not theme, but to another conversation I was engaged in this week.  I was talking to someone who was questioning why they were facing the difficulties of life.  They asked, “But I believe in God.  I’m a Christian.  I try to be good to everyone, do the right things, why am I suffering in my old age?”  Just a few days earlier we had a conversation about salvation, so there was no doubt this person is a believer.  I assured this person that what they were facing in deteriorating health was a product of a lost/fallen world.  This is something we all will face with longevity of life.  Sickness/Death is a part of the curse of the Garden.  BUT, then I quoted a verse and talked about that some with this person.  What verse you ask?  
“These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace.  In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
Oh, there is so much in this verse that I certainly cannot exegete it in this article.  With this particular person I was talking to, I lifted up the fact that as a believer Christ is in us, with us, and only through Him do we really have peace in this world.  Being a Christian does not afford us the perfect life, no pain, suffering or sorrow, but that that day will come!  We will have trials and tribulations in this life, but remember Jesus was an overcomer so that we WOULD be also.  Take courage!!! Christ says!  This is our hope in all we face in this life.
Jesus Christ was an overcomer!  Hebrews 4:15 states: “For we do not have a great high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.”  He is an OVERCOMER!  He overcame temptation and denial, even from His own family.  He overcame persecution by the religious leaders, the Roman government, and the abandonment of all His followers.  He is an Overcomer!  Even an OVERCOMER of death!  For the grave could not hold Him, death could not hold Him.  Satan had no power over Him.  He overcame and conquered death and the grave.  He is ALIVE!
Folks, you have heard it over and over and over again about Christ and His story, but do you claim it for yourself?  Have you found peace in your life, though trials persist?  Though this world and Satan will throw everything including the kitchen sink at you, are you persevering through it?  Have you claimed: “I’m an OVERCOMER because of my Lord and Savior Jesus, the Christ?  Believer, if not, do!  Don’t live your life with worry and doubt.  Be a King David and say, “…though I walk through the valley of death I will fear no evil.”  Claim your salvation through Jesus, live into it and be OVERCOMERS!!!
Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty                   
Worship, Grow & Serve 
                     



No comments:

Post a Comment