Wednesday, June 14, 2017

"What's In A Name?"

I stopped by the bank where I have an account this week to make change. So I walked up the the teller and say, “I would like to change for these $20 bills for $10s.  I have an account here.  Do you need to see my bank card?”  I was taken back at her response.  She said, “Do you know your name?”  I said, “Well yes, I think I do!”  I really think she meant to say, “Can I have your name?” but she never realized her mistake.  Those of you who know me should realize that my mind began to race with that question, “Do you know your name?”
Yes, I know my name or at least my given name.  I was adopted when I was 2 days old.  I was born to a 13 year old unwed mother in January of 1958.  The only name I’ve ever had was the name given to me by my adoptive parents.  I’ve never known anything else.  I’ve always been Marty Egene Duffell.  Well, that’s not exactly true.  Yes, my name has never changed since I was two days old, but the State of North Carolina changed my middle name on me when I got my drivers license.  They said my middle name was Eugene.  I said, “NOPE!”  It’s Egene.  It took me carrying my birth certificate to the County Courthouse to prove it before they would change it.  
But the more I thought of the teller’s question, the more I thought about “I do know my name.”  I should have told her I’m a child of God.  God told Jeremiah as He called him to be His prophet, “I knew you before you were formed in your mother’s womb.”  The Psalmist says that God formed us and wove us in our mother’s womb.  The Apostle John tells us that because of what Jesus has done for us and our belief in Him, we are “called children of God.”  How cool is that?

“Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, And before you were born I consecrated you; I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.”  
Jeremiah 1:5

‘For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.’  
Psalm 139:13

“See how great a love the Father has bestowed on us, that we would be called children of God; and such we are.  For this reason the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.  Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is.  And everyone who has this hope fixed on Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.” 
1 John 3:1 - 3

Yes, I know the teller asked if I had a name.  And yes, I know she meant, Marty Duffell.  But still, that is only my given name.  I am His, His son, adopted into His family.  I am a child of God.  My name is written in the Book of Life.  My name will be called by Him one day to step up and be accounted for.  I’m ready Lord!  Until then you can call me “Pastor Marty”, “Marty”, or “Hey you.”  But this teller, whose name I don’t even know, caused me to be reminded whose I am by name.
How about you?  Thought about “whose” you are lately?  Have you realized that as a believer you are HIS child?  Have you ever thought about that?  He made you, formed you, and He knows you by name!  Does that make any difference?  I think so!
You probably won’t have someone ask you if you have a name.  But someone may dare to ask you whose you are.  And when that question comes, I pray everyone reading this will be able to say, “A Child of God.”

Blessings, 
Pastor Marty Duffell
Pastor - HOPE EPC Raleigh


Worship - Grow - Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment