Wednesday, July 5, 2017

      "Freedom to Belong"

     As I write this article it is July 4, 2017 and I know many of you know the story of this day, but let me give a brief summary for this article’s purpose.  Independence Day or Fourth of July, as it is often referred, is a federal holiday in the United States commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence 241 years ago on July 4, 1776. The Continental Congress declared that the thirteen American colonies were a new nation and would be called The United States of America.  These colonies were declared no longer part of the British Empire.  The fact is, Congress actually voted to declare independence two days earlier on July 2, 1776.
     The Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia declaring the United States independence from Great Britain rule.  After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision.  The document had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the wording of the document.  The final approval came two days later on July 4, 1776.  Ironically, historians say the actual signing of the document mostly likely did not happen until August 2, 1776.  That little fact did not nor has ever changed the date of celebration which was the “approved” date of The Declaration of Independence.  
     Every year, as I read the history of the event and hear that the colonies were declared no longer a part of the British Empire, it reminds me of God’s call for the believer.  I know, you think I’m stretching, but it really does give a reminder of where I belong.
     You see, as a believer, I am in the world, but not of the world.  I am a part of the Kingdom of God, adopted into His family.  In fact, because I am a believer in Jesus Christ, the world will hate me.  This fact is growing more evident day by day.
     Just this past week I read of a University in Oklahoma that took all the Bibles, all the hymnals, all the crosses, any signs of Christianity out of their University Chapel that had been built in 1957.  They said they did not want to offend other faiths, but be inclusive and that signs of Christianity were offensive.  Really?  Me carrying my Bible in my hand in public is offensive?  Me wearing a cross around my neck is offensive?  Yes, to a lost world it is.  Jesus predicted this would happen.
Take a look at the High Priestly prayer of Jesus on the night of His arrest before His crucifixion.  
“I have given them Your Word; and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  I do not ask You to take them out of the world, but to keep them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.  As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world.”  John 17:14-16;18
     So when I read that the colonies are no longer a part of what they were before, but now a new nation, I too am no longer a part of what I was before, but a new creation in Christ Jesus my LORD!  I love that!  I have been set free.  The Apostle John puts it this way: 
“So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36  It is in that freedom that I live.  So while I will continue to share my faith, preach His Word, carry my Bible, wear my cross, I know whatever I face in this world does not define me.  I belong to Him.  I am free even though I am living in a bound up world.  I am free because of Him.
     I love the USA.  I served to protect it years ago and I am proud to have done so.  I am thankful for all those who have fought and continue to fight for our freedoms.  It comes at a cost and it hurts me to see how many degrade those who protect the freedoms of those who protest.  My prayer is that believers around the world will continue to share Christ so Christ’s freedom will be known.  “So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.”  I am in the world, but not of the world.  I am FREE and belong to Him!
     Happy 241st Birthday to the United States of America.

Blessings, 
Pastor Marty - Pastor, HOPE Church - Raleigh

Worship - Grow - Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment