Wednesday, November 8, 2017

“Trust In The Lord”

I believe most were sadden and even somewhat horrified as the news began to break on Sunday afternoon about the church shooting in Sutherland Springs Texas.  Questions of course began to fly.  Why? How can this happen? How can this happen in a place of worship?  And the most often question asked of me and other pastors, “How can a loving God allow this to happen?”  While questions fly, I do believe God’s Word has answers.  They sometimes are not what we want to hear, but they are answers to life.
The first thing we need to realize and never forget is, we live in a fallen world, a sinful, evil world.  God’s Word tells us that Satan is the “Prince of this World” meaning he is causing havoc, leading those who do not know the Lord.  We don’t like to think of it, talk about it, but this is scripturally true and a fact of life (at least until Christ returns).  Evil is in the world.
Second, believers need to trust God.  When things don’t make sense in this world, and there will be many times they don’t, you have to trust in God.  Pastor Frank Pomeroy (Pastor of First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs TX) and wife Sherri lost their 14 year-old daughter in the shooting this past Sunday and his message is I have to trust in the Lord.
Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
This message can be tough.  We want to make sense of all things.  Our very human nature is to question and find answers.  But as a Christian, we must realize that there are some things beyond our understanding.  Is God in control of all things?  Yes!  Are there horrific evil things that happen?  Yes!  Could God change that?  Yes!  Then why not?  The answer to that question is in His Word too.
God states: “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” declares the Lord. Isaiah 55:8  We will not understand clearly all that God allows.  Paul states in 1st Corinthians 13:12: “For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully…” This concept of God’s very nature is hard to grasp, but never less, is truth.
So what is next?  I have to go to Romans 8:28: “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  I think we often forget to read all this verse.  We cannot leave out, “to those who love God” and “who are called according to His purpose.”  Those who love the Lord are not immune to the evil, sickness, circumstances of this world, but neither do we have to go through it alone.  God is with us!  His very spirit comforts and leads us and ultimately HE can bring good out of all things.
I lost my mother when I was 15 years-old on February 9, 1973 and I was angry with God.  I knew God, but had not surrendered my life to God yet.  I grew up in church, went every Sunday, was in Sunday School and Youth Group, knew who God was, but had not given my life over to Him. (Oh, so many are living that life today.)  After mom’s death, from February to April I struggled to try to make sense of it.  My pastor helped me with that.  I yelled at God and He let me.  But on Tuesday, April 24th I walked down the aisle of my church at a Revival and surrendered.  I know God had used the death of my mom for his purposes and one of those was to break me.  Unbroken, I would not respond.  Broken, I could turn nowhere else but to Him.  On Sunday, April 29, 1973, I was baptized and received my call to preach from God as the water was poured over my head.
And what I’ve grown to learn in the circumstances I’ve had to face since is this: “In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groaning too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts know what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercede for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27  (These are the verses just prior to “…all things work together…” You see, I don’t have to understand all things for I have an intercessor that intercedes on my behalf.  The Holy Spirit given to the believer helps us in our weakness, comforts us in our loss, lifts us up in time of despair.  This is the wonderful and mighty God we serve.  He does not abandon us in difficult times.  Just the opposite.  He says lean on Me.  You might not understand now, but I’m the One you need to TRUST.  There is that word again, TRUST!
I am not in any way making light of the hurt and the heartache of those who lost loved ones in this attack.  I cannot imagine losing one of my children in an evil shooting like this.  But I do know for sure, God is at work in all of this.  The aftermath of this evil is not final.  We will hear stories of wonder as the LORD intercedes on behalf of those who love Him.  You can trust the LORD to do this.  He is forever and always faithful!
Blessings friends,
Pastor Marty Duffell - Pastor of HOPE Church Raleigh
Worship - Grow - Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment