Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Have You Protected Yourself?

“Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm.” Ephesians 6:13

I know those of you over 50 years old probably have experienced this. When I was growing up in the 60’s I can remember standing up in the front seat of the car between my parents as we would be driving somewhere. I would claim between the front seats and back seats. I’ve even, as a young kid, laid in the back window behind the back seat and go to sleep. A seatbelt was not a mandatory requirement in those days. There were no airbags on any of our cars. And, the cars were made of steel and metal, not mostly plastic and some aluminum. Those of you under 50 may have not experienced this riding behavior, but I know you have heard us old folks talk about “in our day.”

Having said that, have you ever had a flashback to the past? That happened to me last Wednesday afternoon. I was leaving the church heading over to Sam’s Club to pick up some things. And last Wednesday afternoon it was raining and the roads were wet. As I pulled out onto Green Road heading towards the stoplight at Millbrook, I pulled into the left lane knowing I would need to turn left into the road to Sam’s. An old white van pulled out onto Green Road beside me out of the Urgent Care parking lot heading in the same direction. The light was “Red” so we both stopped and were sitting still beside each other. As we were sitting there stopped I heard something behind me and looked in my rearview mirror. There was a white car (new model) which I often call these bumble bee cars (you’ve heard them, they sound like a swarm of bees when they take off) was flying in the right lane and had all of sudden realized we were stopped in front of him. He had put on the breaks, but on the wet road was just sliding. He hit the back of this white van beside me with such a force and collision that I thought, someone has to be injured. The man in the van beside me got out, he was fine. He ran back to check on the driver in the car that hit him and he too was OK. But his car was totaled. His bumper was laying in the road. The front end of his car was crushed all the back to the tires. The engine was smoking. Also, though this was a new car, even with the impact, the airbag did not deploy.

On the other hand, the gentlemen looked at the back of his van and folks, this old van, after this violent collision, did not look as if anything had happened. This van had a steel bumper on it which took all the force from the bumble bee car. No damage!!!

I was certainly glad everyone was OK and my guess is that the gentlemen in the car in the rear was either on the phone or texting and never saw us stop. Awareness of your surroundings at all times is so important and having the right protection is also important.
I thought about this crash that had just happened beside as I shopped at Sam’s Club. I pictured the damaged cars in my mind and thought about several things. When I was growing up without the protection of a seatbelt or airbags, there were times I certainly was in a position of danger because of where I was in the car. But on the other hand, I was better protected from how the car was made. Protection is important was my thought. And protection that works. This man’s new car’s airbag was worthless to him. It never deployed.

The Apostle Paul was writing to the church at Ephesus and in the closing of his letter he reminds them to take up the full armor of God. Why? So you will be protected, be able to resist evil and stand firm. We are to gird ourselves with truth, the breastplate of righteousness, protect our feet with the preparation of the gospel, taking up the shield of faith, and put on the helmet of salvation along with the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. (Eph. 6:13-17)

In our cars today we no longer allow kids to wander, babies to sit in their mother’s lap, or anyone to remain unsecured. The car makers have added protective devices to help save lives and that is a good thing (provided they work properly). God has done the same thing in relationship to our spiritual lives. He has given us all the tools, everything necessary to protection us from the evil one, the pit falls, collisions with this fallen world. What God has provided is like the steel bumper of the old white van, it can take the most violent hit and stand unhurt, while what has hit will bounce off and be destroyed.

Here is the key though folks, God tells us we are to PUT ON the full armor He has provided. If we fail to do that, if we fail to listen and take heed, then when the evil one strikes, our protection is not there. God provides for us, but we have a part to play. Here is my challenge to you. I want you to read Ephesians Chapter 6 and then ask yourself, “Am I fully protected from this evil one? Or is there something I need to do to fully protect me in my walk with Christ?”

Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty.

No comments:

Post a Comment