Wednesday, July 6, 2016

"What If?'
I cannot remember the last time we traveled for the 4th of July holiday.  Our tradition has been to stay at home, grill out and invite some friends to join us.  Then early evening we ride over to Aberdeen, North Carolina to enjoy the fireworks.  Aberdeen is a hidden gem in the Sandhills when it comes to the 4th celebration.  They have souvenir vendors, food vendors, entertainment, and some of the best fireworks in NC.  People come from all around the region to attend.  Large masses of people gather in little Aberdeen.  This was what we did on Monday, join the masses.  
After we got home I turned on the TV and the Macy’s 4th Fireworks Celebration was on.  When I saw the US Air Force Band playing and singing, I decided to watch.  It was something to watch.  4 barges in the Hudson River firing off fireworks, the Air Force band playing in the background, then seeing the masses of people watching and singing along was beautiful.
As a veteran, the 4th of July holiday is one of my favorites of the year.  Monday we celebrated 240 years of independence.  It is the one day of the year it seems many set aside their differences and come together to celebrate America.  You see our National flay displayed proudly instead of spit on, trampled or burned.  People wave it, hold it, lift it up and seem to truly be proud to be an American.  I love to hear the patriotic songs sung and hear the lyrics “God bless a America, land that I love.”  It warms my heart and reminds me of my service to my country as I swore to “…protect and defend so help me God.”  The masses come out on the 4th of July and it is always a great celebration all around our nation.  I love it!!!
Having said that, I would like to draw a correlation to our walk with Christ.  Now for those that have read my writings over the years, you know that I have discussed this before, but I think it bears a reminder to us all.  And here is the question: What if the masses had the same passion for Christ?”
What if, folks, we had the same passion to gather on Sunday mornings (or other times) for worship?  What if the masses had the same passion to display their love of Jesus Christ daily?  What if the masses didn’t care who saw them wave the banner of Christ proudly?  What if the masses…?
It shouldn’t take another 9/11 to fill our churches.  It shouldn’t take a tragedy to call us to prayer for our nation and the world.  Can’t that passion rise up in us without that?  
Passion is contagious.  An invitation to join your passion is often welcomed.  What if, folks, we Christians become passionate again for the faith?  What if we become passionate in our display of the love of Christ?  What if we become passionate in inviting people to join us in worship.  PASSIONATE!!!  Passionate like we are when inviting someone to join us for a secular celebration!
I love reading about King David bringing the Ark of the Covenant back into the city and the celebration that took place.  Dancing and singing to God was everywhere.  I love reading about Nehemiah and the people gathering on top of the re-constructed wall around Jerusalem and singing and dancing in celebration to God.  Even on Passover week in Jerusalem on the weekend of our Savior’s crucifixion, hundreds of thousands gathered in the city to celebration the Passover.  Their passion for God was on display.  The Hebrew writer says:
“Now the God of peace, who brought up from the dead the great Shepherd of the sheep through the blood of the eternal covenant, even Jesus our LORD, equip you in every good thing to do HIs will, working in us that which is pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be the glory forever and ever. Amen.  But I urge you, brethren, lift up this word of exhortation…”  Hebrews 13:20-22
What if we celebrated Christ with the passion we do other events in our lives, lifting up the WORD of exhortation of the LORD?  Folks, He is worthy of our Praise!!!  What if?

Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty   

Worship, Grow, Serve                      

No comments:

Post a Comment