Wednesday, June 29, 2016

“Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah”
As many of you know, I was in Detroit last week for the 36th General Assembly of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church.  The GA was wonderfully up lifting, with inspirational preaching and teaching.  I wish all of you could one day experience the EPC General Assembly.  Having said that, I did have some difficulties with the Detroit area and thought I would share a little of those escapades.
During my arrival at Detroit and my departure, I felt like one of those Isaiah spoke about in Isaiah 9:16:
“For those who guide this people are leading them astray; And those who are guided by them are brought to confusion.”
Once securing a rental car, I pulled out my GPS to put in the address of hotel.  The GPS said, no such address.  So I put in the address of Ward Church where GA was being held.  No such address popped up again.  So I tried several times with the same result.  I called the hotel and the desk clerk said, “Your GPS must be possessed.”  I think she was serious, but regardless, she offered no help on getting me from the airport to the hotel.  I thought, I have a smart phone and can use google maps.  Yeah!!!  Plugged in the address and here we go.  One problem, it gave me a route, but not whether to go east or west on I-94.  Seeing signs, one to Detroit and the other to Toledo, I choose Detroit.  Seemed logical to me.  Long story short, I got to see downtown Detroit, Ford Field, the Ford Dearborn plant and the east side of Detroit.  Once I decided I went the wrong way, I pulled off of an exit to turn around and go in the other direction.  At the stop light two cars pulled up and the gentlemen in the cars starred at me and had to be thinking, “What is this old white boy doing in our neighborhood?” Heading in the right direction now, an hour later I found the hotel.  Oh, by the way, I had the honor of passing by the airport again on the way.  Yeah, I arrived at my home for the week.  
Now comes Sunday morning, 5:45 a.m. and time to head to the airport to fly home to Raleigh.  We were told that south I-275 was closed for several miles and we would have to find an alternant route to the airport, but the church gave us no directions.  There was no signage giving detours to I-275 south.  There was nothings but “South bound Closed.”  So I decided to go on google maps again and find another route.  Hagherty Road looked to be the best route.  Sunday morning I left the hotel and picked up Hagherty Rd south.  Went 3 miles south as google maps said, but NO ramp to I-275.  Drove in a circle for 15 minutes trying to find a ramp.  I got back on Hagherty Rd and drove another 7 miles south and finally found a ramp to I-275 South.  Needless to say, I was frustrated with Detroit’s DOT.  I did finally arrive at the airport.
As I sat waiting to board my plane home, I thought about my escapades in my arrival and departure from Detroit.  I realize how much I depend on my GPS to guide me in places unknown.  We used to use paper maps, but now rely on satellites to guides us.  GPS (usually) gives you the route to guide you to your destination.  
So here is my question, if your destination is heaven, where are you getting your guidance (directions) from?  From the world?  From the culture of the day?  From secular writings?  From your schooling?  Where?  If heaven is your destination, then your guide must be the LORD and HIS Word.  There is no other source that will get you there.  Here are just a few passages that remind us of that.  Psalm 31:3: “For You are my rock and my fortress; For Your name’s sake You will lead me and guide me.”  Psalm 73:24: “With Your counsel You will guide me, And afterward receive me to glory.”  Psalm 78:52: But He led forth His own people like sheep and guided them in the wilderness like a flock;…”  Revelation 7:17: “…for the Lamb in the center of the throne will be their shepherd, and will guide them to springs of the water of life; and God will wipe every tear from their eyes.”

I am so thankful for our LORD’S guidance in our walk with Him.  One of the hymns I love to sing is “Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah.”  The second verse ends this way:              
Lead me all my journey through
Strong Deliverer strong Deliverer
Be Thou still my strength and shield
Be Thou still my strength and shield  
Here’s the deal folks, without the LORD and His guidance, we will find ourselves lost and traveling in life in the wrong direction.  Seek the LORD and be guided by His Holy Spirit.  That is the only true way.

Let our cry be: Guide me, O Thou Great Jehovah!!! And He will!

Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty   

Worship, Grow, Serve                      

No comments:

Post a Comment