Wednesday, May 31, 2017

"A Day to Remember!"

“Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends.”  
John 15:13

I am writing this article on Memorial Day 2017, so please indulge me the privilege to write on the meaning of this day.
Years ago my family had the opportunity to go to Arlington National Cemetery on the Fourth of July.  What a great, but somber experience.  If you have ever been, and I know many of you reading this have, it is something you will never forget.  The pictures I’ve included here are all pictures we witnessed while there.  I remember seeing the caissons with flag draped coffins pass by and was moved to tears.  Approximately 6900 funerals are conducted annually.  Over 400,000 grave sites currently exist.  It is simply a breath taking site and I mean that literally. 
We stood and watched the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  During the ceremony, someone was talking and the soldier in charge stopped and called him out.  Thank you Sir for the reminder of the respect due!  These soldiers weather the rain, wind, storms, even past hurricanes to guard the tomb.  You ought to take the time to read about these soldiers and what they sacrifice to serve in this capacity.  It is amazing.
All that to say, having taken that oath myself, to protect and defend the United States of America, this day has special meaning to me.  I served with men and women who served in Vietnam.  Listening to stories of their friends who lost their life protecting them was moving.  My own father was in Pearl Harbor and on duty when it was bombed on December 7, 1941.  He could not talk about that day without breaking down in tears for the lives of friends that were lost that day.  Sacrifice has meaning.  I served in a time of peace, but there is something that happens when you don the uniform of the United State Military.  Only those who have worn it can truly understand that statement.  Each Memorial Day I have to pause and remember.  Each Memorial Day I am reminded that my freedom came at a cost.  And each Memorial Day I know, except for the Lord’s return, more lives will be lost to protect those freedoms.
The verse above was stated by Jesus Christ, the Savior of the world.  While it applies to anyone who would give their life to SAVE another, Jesus Christ gave His life so that all who would believe might be SAVED.  He loved me so much, He died for me!  If you have problems reflecting on Memorial Day, try reflecting on your own eternal state.  His death gives you life!  Because He conquered death, you can too.  If you BELIEVE!  Now that is love!!!
Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty Duffell, Pastor HOPE EPC Raleigh

Worship - Grow - Serve




No comments:

Post a Comment