Wednesday, May 3, 2017

“Devoting Yourself to Prayer For the Sake of the Kingdom”

“Devote yourselves to prayer, keeping alert in it with an attitude of thanksgiving; praying at the same time for us as well, that God will open up to us a door for the word, so that we may speak forth the mystery of Christ, for which I have also been imprisoned; that I may make it clear in the way 
I ought to speak.”  
Colossians 4:2-4
What is your response?  How do you react when some else gets the promotion and not you?  What goes through your mind when it seems your neighbor gets all the breaks, new cars in the garage, no money worries, and just seems to be on top of the world and you are struggling?  The normal reaction might be, “Lord, I am trying my best to do the right thing here!  I go to church, give, serve, raising my children in the right way and in a Godly home.  Lord, I don’t get it!”  Many of you have probably had those thoughts.  I know I have.  Here is one of mine when a new church opens their doors around the corner from us and within a few weeks are bursting at the seams.  “Lord, What’s up with this?  I’m trying to be faithful to Your Word, preaching the gospel, teaching the scriptures, ministering to Your people, giving hours and sacrifice to Your kingdom and yet 8 years in, well Lord, we are not bursting at the seams.”
Isn’t that a selfish pray?  One of my mentors and friends has reminded me often, “We are not called to be successful, but called to be faithful.”
The Apostle Paul is in prison and is writing to the Colossian church.  Now it would have been easy for Paul to say, “Lord, I’ve done everything You’ve asked.  Why this fate?”  Paul could have prayed to the church and said, “Hey guys, pray for my release.  I’ve been imprisoned falsely and pray that God gets me out of here.  This is just not right.”
But that was not Paul’s prayer.  Instead, he focuses on the kingdom.  Paul asked them to pray that God opens a door for His Word.  Paul’s focus is for the expanse of the kingdom, not for his personal gain.  It is about God!!!  Oh, I need to hear this.
Remember when we were studying 1st Corinthians that Paul speaks to the division in the church.  Some were siding with Paul, others with Apollos saying he was greater and Paul answers: “What then is Apollos?  And what is Paul?  Servants through whom you believed, even as the LORD gave opportunity to each one.  I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth.  So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth.  Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor.  For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building.”  1st Corinthians 3:5-9
I read this and hear Paul say, “I’m nothing!”  But God on the other hand is everything!!!  He is the one that causes the growth.  Be faithful in all circumstances!  Point to Him in all cases!  Be thankful and give Him praise, even when the chains seem to bind you.  But Marty, come on!  You know that is hard!  That is not human nature.  Oh, you are absolutely right, it’s not a part of our fallen nature.  But folks, by Him, by Christ, we have been transformed into a new creation.  We are to die to self, and rise in Him.  By the transformation of your heart, you become new in Him.  You see, it is only by His power and His might that you can do this, not of yourself.
So let me go back to Paul’s first phrase, “Devote yourselves to prayer…”  You see, unless you are devoted to prayer, you will try to rely on yourself.  Unless you have a thankful heart, even in your current circumstances, you will only see the valley.  But when we fall to our knees asking God to open opportunities for us, not to succeed or stand above everyone else, but to further His kingdom, God honors that.
It’s not easy, I know!  I have to remind myself daily.  But I continue to pray for God to open doors for me to speak the mystery of Christ.  I continue to ask Him to allow me to be an example of faithfulness.  And quite honestly, there are times I continue to fail, only to say, “Why Lord?”  But the more I fall on my knees, the more I make this walk with Christ about Him, the more I feel His power, His strength, His might and man does that feel good!!!  Because I believe that there is nothing more powerful and faithful than my Father in Heaven.  And I know that nothing will separate me from the love that is in Christ Jesus my Lord.  And I know His Holy Spirit has hold of me.  With that, what can the world, Satan, or anyone else do to me?  
So I am committed to devote myself to prayer for the Kingdom!!!  How about you?
Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty - Pastor of HOPE EPC Raleigh

Worship, Grow, & Serve

No comments:

Post a Comment