Wednesday, November 25, 2015

My Pleasure

All of us, I would guess, have been to Chick-fil-A to eat a meal. And it doesn’t matter whether you are in Kalamazoo, Michigan or Raleigh, North Carolina you are going to receive the same phase once your service is complete. What’s that phrase? Let’s all say it at the same time, “My Pleasure.” One of our church members at HOPE told me that he tries his best to phrase his response to being served so that they would have to respond in a different manner. He has not been successful yet.

“My Pleasure,” is ingrained in every Chick-fil-A employee. My son worked there for a while and said, if you are heard by a supervisor responding to a customer in any other way, you are reprimanded for it. So let’s break down this word pleasure.

Webster’s Dictionary says:
1.the state or feeling of being pleased. 2.enjoyment or satisfaction derived from what is to one's liking; gratification. 3.worldly or frivolous enjoyment:
the pursuit of pleasure. 4.recreation or amusement. 5.sensual gratification. 6. a cause or source of enjoyment or delight. 7. pleasurable quality.

But there is one phrase Webster gives that I want to focus on. Under the synonyms section it reads: “Enjoyment that brings about well-being from satisfaction.” By now, many of you are saying, “Where in the world is this man going with this?”

Ok, I’ll tell you. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day. I know that the first Thanksgiving is traditionally dated 1621 in Plymouth where the Pilgrims and Natives joined together to give thanks. Later, the President of the United States, George Washington, proclaimed the first nationwide thanksgiving celebration in America marking November 26, 1789, "as a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God”. If you need to read that phrase from George again, please do so. Many of our politicians today state religion had nothing to do with the beginning foundations of our nation. But let me move on!

You remember I said I like the phrase “...enjoyment that brings about well-being...” Then you read President Washington’s phrase, “...acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favours of Almighty God.” I believe there is a correlation between giving thanks to God and our well-being. As we give our continued thanks to the Almighty, as we worship, as we grow, as we serve Him, and when we pray and give thanks, our countenance is lifted up. Our well-being is given a shot of adrenaline. It makes us feel good. There is just something about giving someone thanks that they cannot (in most cases) respond negatively to.

So as you gather tomorrow to give thanks to the Almighty God for all He has done for you, how about also giving a few words of thanks to those around you, those that serve you, those that care for you, those that love you for just being you. I will tell you that not only will it bring pleasure to you, it will be good for both’s well-being.

So folks, it’s “My Pleasure” to serve you and serve God. I’m thankful to Him and for all of you!!!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Pastor Marty.

No comments:

Post a Comment