Wednesday, June 15, 2016

'Fatherhood"


“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.”
Proverbs 22:6

I remember sometime after I was married I heard the verse I’ve quoted above.  Yes, I grew up in the church.  I was in Sunday School just about every Sunday from as early as I can remember until I graduated from High School.  The verse may have been quoted or preached on, but to be honest with you, it really had very little meaning to me, thus I don’t remember hearing it.

BUT let me tell you, when I began to contemplate the idea of being a father, wow, everything from secular and Biblical writings on being a father began to infiltrate my life.  I thought, “If I’m going to be a father, I have to be the best father I can be.  So, I need to learn all I can to do just that.”  A great plan, but plans are just plans unless they are executed.  All of you in the business world know that.  You may think you have the best business plan in the world for your business to succeed, but unless it is executed, it is just a plan on a piece of paper.

What happen to my plan?  LIFE!  EVERYTHING!  My intentions were good, but I allowed everything else going on in my life to get in the way of allowing God to help me be the father HE wanted me to be.  I allowed work, my desire for play, etc, to fill my life.  My preparation time to be a father really never happened.  Some of you can relate.

Then the call came, “We have an infant baby boy for you to adopt.  You can pick him up and sign the paperwork on Tuesday.”  The call, ironically came on Good Friday.  I’m going to be a father I shouted inside of the store I managed.  I thought, here is comes, ready or not.

That Tuesday, as I was introduce to my son, Christopher Martin Duffell, Chris (as we lovingly call him) decided to introduce himself to me.  His diaper was full, so I told the Social Worker I would change it.  As I folded back the cloth diaper, Chris decided it was time to christen me as his dad.  Yes, a nice upward flow wet me all over.  I smiled, laughed knowing it was just beginning and I was going to love being a dad!!!

Marrying Terry, who had 7 children and one of those in diapers, then 2 years later having our daughter Emma Grace, fatherhood has been challenging and hard at times. I have dealt with things I thought I would never have to deal with, but it has been fantastic all at the same time.  I would not change it for a moment.  I love ALL my children dearly and love to hear the word “DAD” spoken everyday.

Over the years this verse in Proverbs 22 has been ever present on my mind.  How am I living into this call of God as a father?  How am I training my sons and daughters to be godly children of our heavenly Father?  Am I setting a godly example for them?  When I fail, do I ask for their forgiveness?  Yes, theirs!  It is a tough job being a parent.  But it is also a blessing.  

This Sunday is Father’s Day 2016.  Some of us, like me, will remember our fathers who have gone on from this world and probably remember the good times and bad.  Many of you will call or visit your dad this Sunday.  I pray it will be with love and happiness.  But for some this will be a sad day.  They will remember only the bad times and the poor job their father did in raising them.  

Here is my prayer for us all.  We have the absolute best Father there was, is, or ever will be.  That father is our Heaven Father.  He loves us beyond measure.  Enough to allow His Son to died for us!  How awesome it that.  I love being a father, even with all its ups and downs.  I love it!!!  But the bottom line for me is my Heavenly Father has trained me so that, I know where I will spend eternity, because of the Father He has been to me.  Celebrate your earthly father this Sunday, but don’t forget to thank the heavenly one!!!

Blessings my friends, 
Pastor Marty

Worship, Grow, Serve                      

No comments:

Post a Comment