Wednesday, June 8, 2016

  “Increasingly Concerned with Today’s Message”

“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it.  For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.”   Matthew 7:13-14 
    
I am increasingly concerned with today’s message by many pastors and churches.  I have heard interviews with some of the large mega-church pastors lately and while they state a fact of scripture, “God loves you,” they use that statement to then proclaim that because God loves you He will not condemn anyone, but all will make it to heaven.  In light of the scripture above and the teachings of Jesus, Paul, James, Peter, and John, this is the furthest thing from the truth.
It seems to me that two things are happening simultaneously.  First, pastors want growth (I do for the sake of the kingdom), but in their desire to pastor large churches so many have decided, in order to accomplish that, they must not offend anyone with their preaching and teaching.  So to do that, they use topical preaching, such as, “How To Be a Good Parent,”  or “How Do We Speak Well of Our Neighbor?” It becomes the “How To’s of Life.” Often they use secular books instead of the Bible to preach from.  The idea is to move away from the hard sayings in scripture, the sacrifices that are needed to walk a holy life, the consequences for living a life outside of the gospel and commands of Christ to an easy gospel where, if you love, you’re “in.”  That’s all there is to it.
I had a conversation with a young man this past week and he attends a mega-church.  He said, “Do you follow the format like my pastor, topical lessons?”  My answer was, “No.  I use scripture as my basis of preaching.”
The second reason I think there is movement by many pastors away from biblical preaching is that Satan begins to whisper in their ears, as their churches grow larger and larger, “See, you are doing right.”  “See, your church is growing!”  “Keep up the good work and you will grow even larger.”  Many get caught up in the growth and size, over the message. Thus growth is equated with, “I’m doing the right things, see we are growing.”  I, for one, do not buy that.  No, I do not currently pastor a mega-church.  But I have.  I have served a church with 2,000+ members before.  But even in that setting, God’s Word was the basis of my preaching.  God’s Word is the only basis for preaching.  Anything else is a watered down attempt and perverts the gospel message.

Scripture reminds us that the Christian walk will not be easy.  It will cause us to make difficult decisions, to lose friendships, to be persecuted, to be considered crazy for our beliefs, for we are living in the world, but not of the world.  Those who stand on His Word and His commands on living a holy life will be viewed by the world, and even by many within the church, as backwards, hateful, and non-progressive in their thinking.  If I’ve heard it once, I’ve heard it a 100 times, “God has changed His mind on things.  The Bible no longer is the authority over life.”  “REALLY?,” is my answer.  “When did God change his mind?”
The preaching of many today is that of a broad path and they say all will enter it.  Jesus says differently.  Are we to preach love to all?  Absolutely.  In the verses prior to this quoted above, Jesus says to love others as you love yourself.  But love also includes truth.  And then He says but, “…the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few (not many) who find it.” 
Paul instructs Timothy in 1st Timothy 4:6, “In pointing out these things to the brethren, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, constantly nourished on the Words of faith and of the sound doctrine which you have been following.”  He then says in verses 7, “But have nothing to do with worldly fables… On the other hand, discipline yourself for the purpose of godliness…”  
I am concerned with the message being preached today because I believe many are being led astray.  Many are being told if they just love, they can live their lives any way they please and that is acceptable.  I do not find that in scripture.  Here is what I do find as spoken by Jesus and recorded in Matthew 7:22-23: “Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’  And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you, depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.”  
We all need to be sure that what we are hearing is in line with God’s Holy Word.  There in lies the truth and the only true practice of faith.  We are to always test what is being preached and taught by God’s Word.  I am to love everyone, but always stand on God’s truth.  Something to think about folks!

Blessings my friends,
Pastor Marty

Worship, Grow, Serve                      

No comments:

Post a Comment